Going Mad for Mad Men:
Ever the perfect housewife (ha!), I went a little crazy the Sunday of the Mad Men Season 5 premiere. You ask, why all the random ingredients? Well, they are what you need for a successful Mad Men Party! Deviled Eggs, California Dip (The unofficial Mad Men Cookbook, pg.79), Bacon Wrapped Cocktails Olives and of course, Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
All super simple recipes, all in all the cooking only took about two hours. (Unfortunately, I did not get many of the completed dishes photographed due to the pre-party Zombie at Brooklyn’s own Zombie Hut). The night turned out fabulous with our local friends and neighbors and I now know I can chuck it all and be the perfect hostess and housewife! (a girl can dream right?)
Pineapple Upside Down cake
· 1/4 cup butter or margarine
· 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
· 1/4 Grand Marnier or Dark Rum
· 9 slices pineapple in juice (from 14-oz can), drained
· 9 whiskey maraschino cherries without stems, if desired (the brand I use is Tipsy)
· 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1/3 cup shortening
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 3/4 cup milk
· 1 egg
· Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch square pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Add and 1/8 of a cup of booze. Drink other 1/8. Wait, just make yourself a cocktail. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
· In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries. Eat left over batter and do a shot.
· Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm. Store cake loosely covered. Make a cocktail to celebrate making a cake.
Deviled eggs as taught by my Mother:
· A dozen hard boiled eggs, egg whites split in half, yokes separated gently from the whites
· A teaspoon of mustard powder
· Mayonnaise, about 3 tablespoons, (not Miracle Whip, gross!)
· About a tablespoon or two of sweet pickle relish to taste
· Mix the yolks and the other ingredients and spoon into the solid whites
· Paprika mixed w/ sea salt as a garnish
Bacon wrapped olives from my Grandmother’s cocktail parties:
· 1 Jar Spanish olives w/ pimentos
· About a half pack of Sunday Bacon preferably Applewood Farms since they are nice to their animals!
· Wrap each olive in a half a piece of bacon, stab w/ a toothpick and cook until crispy @ 350.
Also, make sure to check out our new blog, Kitsch’N’Kocktail, where we are exploring all of the Mad Men Cocktail Marvels!